Monday, June 22, 2009

Together they stand

Today I stood on the busy corner of Osborne and Stradbrook in solidarity with the protesters or Tehran. The people are crying out for change. the world is crying out for change




Some words from a protester in Iran...

"Tomorrow is a big day, I may be martyred

I will participate in the demonstration tomorrow. Perhaps, tomorrows demonstration will turn violent. Maybe I will be one of the people who are going to get killed. I am listening to all the beautiful songs I've heard in my life. I may even dance a few times. I always wanted to have my eyebrows really thin. Yes, before I leave tomorrow I will stop by the salon! There are a few great movie scenes that I also have to see. I should stop by the library too; Forugh and Shamloo's poetries are worth reading once more. I should again look at my family's photo albums from the beginning. My friends, I should call them and say my goodbyes. All I have are two bookshelves which i told my family who should receive them. I only need two more courses till i Finnish university, but who cares about my degree. My mind is too overwhelmed now. I've written these scattered sentences for the next generation so that they know we weren't smitten by the atmosphere or emotional. So that they know for the improvement of their lives we did everything possible. So that they know if our ancestors surrendered to the attacks of Arabs and the Moghols, they did not surrender to despotism. So i am dedicating these words to the children of the next generation"

Today we face certain danger, only to bring hope and true freedom to all the people of the world. Let us do everything possible. this battle is about to get hotter, i feel it in my heart.


6 comments:

  1. What was the mood of the demonstrators? What were the onversations like? Were they mostly ex-pats or were there lots of locals expressing solidarity too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. and are there plans for more solidarity protests?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard through the grapevine that there will be another one at 8pm tonight at the Legislative Building.

    I don't really know who this group is, or what they're thinking, but they might have some good insight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    I was among the demonstrator. Just visiting your blog.
    By the way the vigil nights are held at the same place (Osborn-Stradbrook junction) at 8 p.m. The legislature rally was at 11:30 this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a peacefull. they were mostly silent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaahhh, then I just missed you both times. Could you email us with the details of these things (which days/times/locations) if you plan any more things. I'd love to talk with you, and I'm sure our readers would love to know when these things are.

    Our email is wirdmedia@gmail.com.

    Thanks for visiting! Please keep coming back.

    ReplyDelete